Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ich Spreche Kein Deutch: Or how CNN, BBC, and Eurosport Became my German Roommates


This is me with my Porgy and Bess back stage pass!

This is me before I left...
















This is me after I arrived: jet lagged and TIRED!










The view of North Hamburg from my hotel room

Me on the street the Beatles Played on!! Yeah, yeah, yeah!!










I have learned German! Or…at least how to say, “I don’t speak German” in German…
Needless to say, I’m grateful for three English-language channels (including the Olympics!) on the television in my hotel room. When I’m not listening to European news or the Beijing Diving Competitions, I am at the theatre, working. I can’t even think of how to being to describe what this experience has been like. So I’ll just list facts. (I'm trying to add photos, but I'm having trouble, so bear with me...)

Hamburg By Numbers:

15: The number of times someone has confused me as a German and tried speaking to me in Deutch within the first three days (I’ve since stopped counting).
Also the number of hours I worked on my longest day.

13: The average number of hours I work each day.

11: The number of days I worked (with an average of 13 hours a day) without a break.

9:00- 10:00am: the time I usually have breakfast (at the hotel)

12:00am: The time Mary (my teacher and the head costumer on tour) and I usually stop by the McDonalds in between the theatre and out hotel for “dinner”.

24: The floor my room is on at the hotel.

6: The number of Germans who interchangeably work with us in the costume shop and backstage (by the way, their English is 500 times better than my German).

3: The number of opera singers who sing “Bess” and who I am in charge of dressing (and undressing) before and after the show

5: The number of quick changes I have to help Bess with during each show (9 per week with two on Sat. and Sun.)

28: The number of shirts I have to distribute to the men in the cast every day.

56: The number of socks I have to distribute to the men in the cast every day.

1: The number of times I’ve been to the red light district (during the day) in Hamburg and walked down the street where the Beatles played when they lived in Hamburg before they became world-famous.

13 minutes: The amount of time it takes for me to walk to the theatre from the hotel.

3: The number of Europeans who have expressed interest in asking me out.

0: The number of times (as of yet) I’ve actually gone out with a European and the number of (human) roommates I have and the number of windows in my bathroom (I miss the sunlight).

12: the number of NEW performers we had to fit for costumes in three days.
Here is a photo of my in the fitting room:

68: The number on my official “Porgy and Bess: All Access Pass”. Here I am with it:

2: Hamburg’s rank as one of Germany’s largest cities (surprised me!) Here are some photos of Hamburg I’ve taken from my hotel room and during my one day off.

A LOT: The amount of Hamburg that was destroyed in a fire in the 19th Century.

EVEN MORE: The amount of Hamburg (an important harbor city) that was destroyed by World War II bombs. There is still a lot of construction around the city and it’s rather strange to see 18th century (and older) buildings standing right beside cold, modern skyscrapers.

1: The assistant stage manager who reminds me of Caleb Todd (a friend of mine from ACU Theatre). Caleb, if you read this: I almost put my hand on my shoulder and batted my eyes within the first day that I met him. J He is new to the company, too, so I instantly had a friend with something in common. How grateful I am to have someone who reminds me so much of home.

More than I would like to count: The number of times I’ve messed up and really frustrated a performer.

More than I can count: The number of times a performer has expressed thanks to me.
Completely: How grateful I am that 1.) Mary likes Italian food (just like me!) 2.) that I live RIGHT NEXT to a public garden (here are some photos of the garden and me in the garden) and 3.) that I have a WONDERFUL recording of the song “It is Well”.

This song has (at least for this week) become by mantra. "When peace like a river attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll, whatever my lot thou hast taught me to say it is well, it is well with my soul".
















10 comments:

Adam said...

I LOVED reading this. Thanks for giving us Germany by the numbers. I MISS you!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that you are still hanging in out there. You were such an encouragement to me this summer and I am so happy for you.

Study Abroad Office said...

Amy, it's so good to hear from you! I miss you! Study Abroad things are going well. In fact, I'm getting to travel to Montevideo with this Fall group for 6 days. :-)

Unknown said...

It's very, very good to get an update from you. I'm glad you are well-- even with working hard, long hours. We're missing you, but E LOVED getting her birthday postcard from you! Thanks-- we love you.

Unknown said...

okay is it bad that i just screamed when you got hit on by 3 european men! AH! haha get that. omg. i miss you. and yes i am in new york. and i am not doing anything that will make you come over here and hurt someone. love you

Unknown said...

I miss you so much. But this blog was really fun to read :) I laughed a lot because I could see you saying all of those things in my mind...

Josh said...

It seems my German lessons are doing you good! Stick with me, Amy, and I'll have you speaking uber Deutsch by the time you're ready to leave.

I was randomly in WPAC last night, and I saw your picture on the wall. It made me happy. I hope you're having a blast. Think of me next time you have bratwurst, and eat a little extra in my memory.

And now I'm off to your facebook wall to teach you how to turn down German boys who ask you out.

V

Unknown said...

Well, I'm glad to hear that you've learned how to proclaim "auf Deutsch" that you don't speak it, though that can be dangerous! Ames, I'm glad you're watching the Olympics, experiencing Europe, getting asked out by multiple guys, and having a great time. I can't wait to see pictures!

-Dee

Anonymous said...

Beautiful girl in a beautiful city! I miss you!

makegivelove said...

I'm so glad that you are doing well! I can't believe you are working SO much- you must be exhausted! We miss you and are praying for you! You rock!

p.s. "It is Well" is the song I use to get me through difficult times too... it's an amazing song :)